Tuesday, May 30, 2006

You Are Special


"You are special
You are my friend
You're special to me.
You are the only one like you.
Like you, my friend, I like you."
-- Fred Rogers

So I've been kind of mentally writing all of these cynical blogs dealing with the state of the nation and I've been writing about the crazybad and rabid dogs and whatnot...and THEN I ran across somebody else's site (transbuddha), and it lined me right out...

It turns out that in 1969, Richard Nixon was trying to slash the budget to PBS in order to fund the messiness in Vietnam...so Mr. Rogers -- yes, our neighborly, special friend Mr. Rogers -- addressed the Senate -- intelligently, kindly, neighborly -- and he changed their minds!

I wish there were more like him -- he was special to me. It's been 3 years since he died and it still makes me sad.

"It's you I like..."

No comments: