Wednesday, March 24, 2010

"Every Day Is a Yellow Day...



Margaret, my psychic friend (or friend who is psychic), told me I'm all yellow bursting solar plexus, right now. I'm hiding out at home with a low-grade fever and sore throat and can feel my flesh burn, chill and hum and letting dreamland envelope and possess me on my couch all day, again and again.
Once upon a time, I was a psychic friend. Sad and freaked out people would call the 900 line and they would get to talk to Mia (one of my AKAs) and she would tell them yes, of course, the cards and the stars and my guides say yes, you will be loved again. That's what most callers wanted to know.

Then, I moved to New Mexico because it was new, said so in the name. I used to do romantic things like move across the country to a place with a poetic name and get paid to be a charlatan with an AKA and sleep with strangers named Krishna I met at the river and believe the stars could guide me to my heart. (Now, I'm logical and practical although I still believe in dreamland and evidently my solar plexus has started bleeding yellow in the psychic plane.) Anyway, in New Mexico, I met Margaret an expat Scot who lived in a trailer in the foothills and owned a store called the Lyceum where she read playing cards. Really, she had you pick seven cards and she would hold them to her cancerous breast and recite all of the harder truths you knew but didn't feel like realizing and you could fit them into whichever context you felt you could hold in your palm without spilling them on the floor. Later, she cut off her right breast and started predicting with amazon precision via telephone which is how I learned to always bet on green and that today I am pouring yellow.

8 comments:

La Sirena said...

In case my mother reads this; I'm fine. Don't take me too literally.

Zoro said...

I think you are flying right now Jen - you inspire me. I've been studying Tarot for nearly 20 years also. Do you want to try something? But it might be dodgy unless we sync. using a celtic cross lay out. Viz., are you up for me doing your Tarot from Bristol over to Chicago? Only a thought though - these readings are pretty personal aren't they?

Z.

Nika said...

I've been reading your blog occasionally, and although you don't know me and I don't know you, I am compelled to say that I read only because you have precision of language which can almost cut...

(By the way. In case this makes you feel better, I knew someone who used the word "yellow" as a metaphor for all things good, bright, and life-giving. He died, since, but his family still uses this word, we sometimes say crazy things like "yellow is good" and "life is yellow" - and it makes us happy.)

Ed Pilolla said...

your mom is sensing something awesome (see what literary terms i use) in your work lately, and concern is our moms' most loving reaction. (am i allowed to talk about your mom? i won't do it again:)

Anonymous said...

I . . . can't figure that out.

La Sirena said...

Z -- I'll get back to you on the tarot thing later in the week. Sounds good.

Nika -- Wlecome! What a wonderful yellow story. Thank you for sharing. I saw your blog and look forward to reading more.

Ed -- There is nothing wrong with talking about my mom like that. Thanks.


Jack -- I...can't help you with that.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what the hell I was talking about. Must have ran out of my Adderall. "I said let that boy boogie-boogie"

Anonymous said...

Hi i was wondering if you knew where margaret is i used to know her when i lived in new mexico, how is she doing, i have not seen her in years and lost contact with her. not sure how to email you
thanks