Wednesday, May 23, 2007

One Track Mind

In case you haven't noticed, I've developed a very intense craving over the last week or so. I think it might be the lilacs -- they are in bloom now and that always does something to me.

When I was a teeny little girl, I used to sit under the liac bush in the front yard. I could breathe in the sweetly musky scent of lilacs and if I sat very still, the butterflies would alight for a moment or two on my hand or shoulder.
When I was a moody teenager hating life, I would go hang out by the lilac bushes alongside the fence of the sports field with my friends Ronny and Alex. We would stretch out in the May sunshine and talk or not. When the bell would ring I would imagine crawling into the center of the lilac bush and hiding until everyone else left. I never did, but a few minutes of sunshine and my lilac fantasy always made the rest of the day more palatable.
And even now, I'll catch a waft of lilac perfume floating on a sunny May breeze and my center grows warm and soft and all I want to do is lie down on the grass and be kissed by the sunshine.



No comments: