Monday, January 01, 2007

Emerald Waters and Copper Tubes


I had a dream on the couch this afternoon. In it, Mayor Daley had spent a bajillion dollars on these copper tube ladders filled with emerald-colored water that connected the skyscrapers and shot down to the river and the lake. They looked kind of like a series of Art Deco water slides. You could slide right out of the Loop during rush hour and find yourself at North Avenue Beach. I was thinking this was good, as I suddenly found myself at the top of the Hancock and urgently needed to get home. Donovan's well-being and and any future love, employment, etc. I ever hoped to have depended on it. But it was freaking COLD up there...even the emerald-colored water and it wasn't just a slide -- you really had to immerse yourself in the water and swim hard and I was doing that thing of standing on the edge, afraid to take the plunge but freezing in the wind and knowing I would adjust if I just dove in head first. Then these annoying old biddies came up to me and started asking me a 1000 questions about stores on Mich. Ave. and I HATE shopping so I just dove in and was getting whipped around in the tubes and I realized I'd forgotten to take a deep breath. But then I saw how magnificent the tube and the city looked through that deep green water and I saw that the whole construction had been designed so that you could climb back up the copper rungs and suddenly I was breathing underwater.

Wish you were there. My description doesn't do it justice.

Oh, and Happy New Year!

(Image borrowed from http://www.davidbollt.com/)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a professional mixolegist, you should know that you only combine scotch and water. All others will lead to these so called wild dreams of yours. Could this be refered to as the day after, the night before.

Anonymous said...

Now to the serious side. What's the proof of this "Emerald Waters", and do you plan on marketing it, and approximate date of its inaguration.

La Sirena said...

I should market it. It could cut down on all kinds of traffic.

Yes...it was the day after the night before.

Anonymous said...

I love hearing other people's dreams.

La Sirena said...

Thanks, Laurie! Me, too... I was just reading your blog while you were reading mine. Friki!

Anonymous said...

I think it still is the day after the day after. If you read carefully, the proof I refer too is the volume of alcohol, and "Emerald Waters" as an intoxicating beverage not a means of traffic control. Now which one of us is getting old and senile?

La Sirena said...

Aaah, I see...
Of course, you hail from Europe... so unless you're STILL drunk, you know that emerald waters = absinthe. Illegal in this here U.S. of A., which is a crying shame, really. You can read all about it in Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Absinthe

According to some websites, absinthe is 151 proof, or 75.5% alcohol by volume.

FYI -- I don't think you're senile, just old and occasionally drinking.

Anonymous said...

All I did was make a simple suggestion. I didn't expect the history of the distillzation industry and its by products. Then you wonder why I drink??????????????

Anonymous said...

just checking