Saturday, October 10, 2009

Harvest II

It is so chilly and gloomy these days. The cold concrete and the layers and layers of clouds and rain are sucking at my soul. (Okay, I tend toward the dramatic, at times.) I have been asked to attend 4 memorial services over 2 weekends -- memorials for good, kind, strong men who still had a sense of humor about the world.

Plus, I was at one of the state psychiatric hospitals for a couple of hours this week, trying to set up a referral service. (It pisses me off how many people can't get health care coverage.) I ran into an old client from my homeless mental health clinic days. I was happy to see her -- that she's still with us (pessimistic, I know, but there isn't much of a life expectancy for folks in that situation) and she was so happy to see me she about knocked the wind out of me. I haven't seen her in 10+ years, I didn't work with her for very long at the time and I was able to talk to her for 10 minutes but I had to go to another appointment and the poor dear is so entrenched in her own idiomatic logic that it was impossible to sit with her any longer than that. How can happy make you so damned sad?